July is over, so it’s time for my monthly income report again.
If you are new to this series, let me explain it to you: Since Android is an open platform, I decided to be open about the income I’m making with my Android apps too. In the last report I aimed to reach $800.- for the last month. You will see if it worked out.
For all income reports, please click here.
3D Invaders – about 92.000 installs (+10k), 16% active
AL Voice Recorder – about 359.000 installs (+24k), 25% active
AL Voice Recorder Ad Free – 690 installs (+40), 43% active
Droid-Blog.net Android App – 120 installs (+110), 35% active
SmsToSpeech full – 656 installs (+16), 44% active
What did I do?
The Android Market changed a bit and so did it’s ranking algorithm. Fortunately, this led to a slightly better ranking of the AL Voice Recorder which caused it to be downloaded 24.000 times. That’s a fantastic increase in new downloads of 60%. Accordingly, also the installs of the AL Voice Recorder Ad Free increased from almost 0 to about 40. SmsToSpeech, my other paid app, didn’t sell as many copies as in the last month, but as the ad free version of the voice recorder is way more expensive, these losses are well compensated.
The Droid-Blog.net app increased an unbelievable 1100% in downloads while grossing the same amount of money as in the last month: nothing.
Essentially, I did nothing to promote my apps. I did release some minor updates on 3D Invaders in the first half of the month but that’s it. The active install ratio of 3D invaders declined from 20% to 16% which means I have to do definitely more there.
Here are some statistics from the two advertising networks I’m using, AdMob and Madvertise. Please read the last income report for an explanation of the following numbers.
Requests: 415,263 (-45k)
Impressions: 408,058 (-47k)
Fill Rate: 98.26% (-0.74%)
Clicks: 11,192 (+2.75k)
CTR: 2.74% (+0.89%)
eCPM: $1.08 (+$0.27)
House Ads: 5,503 (-18k)
Adjusted Requests: 420,766 (-64k)
Adjusted Fill Rate: 96.98% (+2,84%)
As I’m not using house ads in Madvertise, no adjusted requests and fill rates are shown here.
Requests: 341,884, (+6,5k)
Impressions: 65,339 (+10k)
Fill Rate: 19% (+2%)
Clicks: 3,314 (+692)
CTR: 5.07% (+0,34%)
eCPM: $6,52 (+$1,08)
As you can see, the AdMob performance of my apps decreased a bit in terms of requests. Still, due to an enormous increase of the CTR, my apps were able to get a plus of 2,750 clicks. Madvertise also performed fantastic last month, getting even a slightly better fill rate this time. Overall, I’m quite satisfied with the work/effect ratio my apps produced this month.
Now that you have seen that my ad performance increased, you can probably guess that my revenue did too. This time I separated the Market sales and the In-App sales. Here are the numbers:
AdMob: $439,56 (+$71.60)
Madvertise: ~$426,07 (+$123.91)
Market sales: ~$130,76 (+$56.35)
In-App sales: ~$8,63
Total: $1,005.02 (+$260.17)
I totally reached my goal of $800. As I knew I wouldn’t have much time in the last month and as July has one more day than June, I thought this would be realistic. The change of the Android Market and the great performance of the ad networks caused my apps to do way better, resulting in the more than 1k income for the last month (hurray!).
I’m still working hard on our next game which is why I think I won’t have much time to spent on my private apps this month too. My goal for the next month is to reach the great numbers of this month again: $1005,02.
Please feel free to share your own experiences in the comments. Please also don’t hesitate to tell me if there is anything else you’d like to get some information about.